Permitted and/or Operating
1. Fording River Mine, operated by Teck and located 29 kilometres northeast of the community of Elkford. Fording River is comprised of approximately 23,000 hectares of coal lands. Coal mined at Fording River is primarily steelmaking coal, although a small amount of thermal coal is also produced.
2. Greenhills mine, operated by Teck and located 8 kilometres northeast of Elkford. Greenhills is comprised of approximately 11,800 hectares of coal lands. Coal mined at Greenhills is primarily steelmaking coal, although a small amount of thermal coal is also produced.
3. Line Creek Mine, operated by Teck and located approximately 25 kilometres north of Sparwood. Line Creek supplies steelmaking and thermal coal to a variety of international and domestic customers. Line Creek consists of approximately 8,200 hectares of coal lands.
4. Coal Mountain Mine, operated by Teck and located 30 kilometres southeast of Sparwood. Coal Mountain is comprised of approximately 3,000 hectares of coal lands. Coal Mountain produces both steelmaking and thermal coal.
5. Elkview Mine, operated by Teck and located approximately 3 kilometres east of Sparwood. Elkview is comprised of approximately 27,100 hectares of coal lands. The coal produced is a high-quality, mid-volatile hard coking coal. Lesser quantities of lower grade hard coking coal are also produced.
6. Wolverine Mine, operated by Walter Energy Inc. and located approximately 15 miles south of Tumbler Ridge. It is an open pit metallurgical coal mine with a coal processing plant and a rail load-out facility, which is capable of handling 3.5 million metric tons per year. The mine produces premium hard coking coal.
7. Brule Mine, operated by Walter Energy Inc. and located 28 miles south of Chetwynd. Brule Mine is an open pit metallurgical coal mine and produces a premium low volatile pulverized coal injection (PCI) product. Coal from Brule is transported by truck to Walter Energy’s Willow Creek Mine for processing and shipping.
8. Willow Creek Mine, operated by Walter Energy Inc. and located 28 miles west of Chetwynd. It is an open pit metallurgical coal mine with a coal processing plant and a rail load-out facility. The mine produces premium hard coking coal and low volatile pulverized coal (PCI).
9. Trend Mine is operated by Anglo American and located approximately 25 kilometres south of Tumbler Ridge in the Peace River District.
10. Quinsam Mine is operated by Hillsborough Resources and located near Campbell River. Quinsam Mine is the only underground coal mine in British Columbia, and the only underground thermal-coal mine in all of Canada. It has been in operation for more than 20 years and produces approximately 500,000 metric tonnes of high-quality coal each year.
Mine Projects, Not Yet Permitted
11. Raven Coal Mine Project is operated by Compliance Energy Corporation and located 80 kilometres northwest from Nanaimo. The Raven Coal Deposit covers an area of approximately 3,100 hectares and holds 71,998,201 tonnes of measured and indicated and 59,430,517 tonnes of inferred coal resource. The coal is classified as high volatile A Bituminous and is suitable for targeting the metallurgical coal market as a blend product or the thermal coal market.
12. Quintette Mine Project is operated by Teck and located in northeast BC, approximately 20 kilometres south of Tumbler Ridge. Quintette had previously operated for a period of nearly 18 years up until 2000. Teck submitted a Mines Act Permit Amendment application for Quintette in 2012 and received permit approval in June 2013.
13. Arctos project, owned by the Arctos Anthracite Joint Venture, is a joint venture between Fortune and Posco Canada Ltd., a subsidiary of Korea’s POSCO – one of the world’s largest steel producers. The Arctos project consists of 16,411 hectares of coal exploration licenses in northwest British Columbia, 330 km northeast of the Port of Prince Rupert.
14. Groundhog, operated by Atrum Coal, is located northeast of the Port of Prince Rupert. The goal is to delineate a world class metallurgical coal project and deliver an initial 2-3 Mtpa operation with potential to scale up significantly.
15. Carbon Creek, operated by Cardero Resource Corp. is a metallurgical coal deposit located in the Peace River Coalfield, 50 kilometres west of Hudson’s Hope.
16. Sukunka Coal Mine Project, operated by Xstrata Coal Canada, is located approximately 55 kilometres south of Chetwynd and 40 kilometres west of Tumbler Ridge. The proposed project is an integrated surface and underground metallurgical coal mine, initially producing 1.5 to 2.5 million tonnes per year and increasing to 6 million tonnes per year when underground mining begins.
17. Suska Coal Mine Project, operated by Xstrata Coal Canada, is located north of the Sukunka project. The Suska project would produce 60% hard coking coal and 40% pulverized coal injection (PCI).
18. Mt. Hudette/Brazion, operated by Walter Energy’s Canadian Operations, is located near Tumbler Ridge and Chetwynd.
19. Gething, operated by CKD Mines Co. Ltd., is an underground metallurgical coal mine located nearly 30 kilometers west of Hudson’s Hope in northeastern British Columbia.
20. Echo Hill, operated by Hillsborough Resources Limited, is located 44 kilometres north of Tumbler Ridge. The proposed project would produce 1 to 1.5 million tonnes of thermal coal per year for a mine life of 10 to 14 years.
21. Murray River, operated by HD Mining Ltd., is located southwest of Tumbler Ridge. The project, targeting deep metallurgical coal deposits between 400m. to 800m., has estimated reserves of more than 3.18 billion tonnes.
22. Roman Mountain, operated by Anglo American, is located south of the Trend mine and will be an open pit mine producing between two and four million tonnes of metallurgical coal per annum, with a life expectancy of about 16 years.
23. Belcourt, operated by Walter Energy’s Canadian Operations, is located near Tumbler Ridge and Chetwynd.
24. Huguenot, operated by Colonial Coal International Corporation, is located approximately 140 kilometres from Quintette and is amenable to open pit mining.
25. Saxon, operated by Walter Energy’s Canadian Operations, is located near Tumbler Ridge and Chetwynd.
26. Basin, operated by Coalmont Energy Corp, is located near Princeton.
27. Bingay, operated by Centermount Coal Limited, is a metallurgical coal property located in the Elk Valley. The property is located about 23 kilometres north of the town of Elkford.
28. Marten-Wheeler is operated by Teck and located in the Elk Valley region.
29. Crown Mountain is operated by Jameson Resources and located in the Elk Valley coal field. The Project is adjacent to the Crows Nest coal field.
30. Coal Creek is operated by Crows Nest Pass Coal Mining and located in the Elk Valley. Crows Nest Pass Coal Mining is exploring the area and looking to establish an underground coal mine focusing on premium quality hard coking coal.