Permitted and/or Operating
1. Gregg River, operated by Westmoreland and located in Alberta’s historic Coal Branch on the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountains, approximately 43 kilometres south of Hinton.
2. Grande Cache, operated by Grande Cache Coal (GCC). Surface and Underground mines located in the Smoky River Coalfield, produces metallurgical coal for the steel industry and holds 14 coal leases covering over 22,000 hectares containing over 300 million tonnes of coal resources in the Smoky River Coalfield. GCC operates both surface and underground mining operations, which provide coal to a central processing and rail load out facility.
3. Highvale Mine, operated by TransAlta and SunHills Mining Partnership and located south of Lake Wabamun, about 70 kilometres west of Edmonton. Highvale Mine is one of three TransAlta owned surface coal mines, and Canada’s largest surface strip coal mine, covering more than 12,600 hectares.
4. Coal Valley, operated by Westmoreland, and located approximately 100 kilometres south of Edson in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. In operation since 1978, the mine sells the majority of its production on the world export market. An on-site processing plant crushes, cleans and dries the coal before it’s transported by train to customers or ports for international shipping.
5. Paintearth Mine, operated by Westmoreland and located 175 kilometres southeast of Edmonton.
6. Sheerness Mine, operated by Westmoreland and located 160 kilometres northeast of Calgary.
7. Genesee Mine, operated by Westmoreland and located 70 kilometres southwest of Edmonton.
8. Obed Mountain, operated by Westmoreland and located near Hinton.
9. Cheviot, operated by Teck and located east of Edmonton. It was mined between 2004 and 2010. In 2005, reclamation began of mined areas. Reclamation involves backfilling the mined pits, replacing the coversoil and establishing vegetation. Native plants and seeds are used extensively.
10. Ryley, operated by Dodds Coal and located approximately 90 kilometres southeast of Edmonton, Alberta. Dodds supplies heating coal for residential, commercial & agricultural applications, throughout western Canada.
Mine Projects, Not Yet Permitted
11. Vista, operated by Coalspur and located near Hinton. Vista has the potential to be developed into the largest export thermal coal mine in North America. Vista covers approximately 10,000 hectares and provides a large scale, surface mineable, thermal coal project.
12. Palisades, operated by Altitudes Resources Ltd., covers 4,648 ha and is the most advanced coal project with work dating back to the 1960’s. Field work, trenching and drilling was carried out in the 1960s by Rio Tinto and in the 1970s and 1980s by Denison mines. Altitude has now secured technical information from both exploration campaigns which indicates that the property contains low volatile coking coal in the Luscar coal formation.